As a vehicle owner, you know routine auto maintenance is necessary to keep your vehicle in proper working condition. But knowing which parts need professional service and when they need it can be pretty confounding if you’re not familiar with routine maintenance schedules. Below, the auto repair and maintenance experts at AA Auto Tech discuss what factory-recommended auto maintenance entails, how to determine when to have your vehicle serviced, and why routine care is so important for every automobile.
What Is Factory-Recommended Auto Maintenance?
When an auto manufacturer produces a vehicle, it comes equipped with numerous mechanical and electrical components that require routine service or replacement. To keep you on track with the vehicle’s recommended maintenance schedule, the manufacturer provides a service outline, which you’ll find inside the owner’s manual. If you review your vehicle’s provided maintenance schedule, you’ll see it requires:
● 30,000-mile service. Most vehicles require professional maintenance at 30,000-mile intervals. These service appointments generally include safety inspections, various filter replacements, spark plug replacements, engine diagnostic testing, gasket replacement, hose replacement, and a variety of other routine checkups and parts replacements.
● Oil changes. To keep the engine properly lubricated, most vehicles require oil changes at 3,000- to 5,000-mile intervals. If your vehicle uses synthetic oil, it may require oil changes less frequently.
● Transmission service. Your vehicle’s transmission fluid, filter, and pan gasket must be replaced at routine intervals according to the schedule outlined in your owner’s manual.
● Timing belt replacement. To maintain engine functionality, your vehicle’s timing belt must be replaced by an auto repair specialist every 60,000 to 100,000 miles.
● Fluid flushes. Engine coolant, power steering fluid, and brake fluid must be flushed and replaced by an auto mechanic at routine intervals to maintain proper functionality.
● Tire changes. Automobile tires are rated for specific mileages to ensure safe vehicle operation. Performing routine visual tire inspections will alert you to the need for tire replacement.
Keep in mind the above list is not comprehensive and your specific maintenance guidelines will depend on the make, model, and age of your vehicle. For a full breakdown of your vehicle’s maintenance requirements and the recommended mileage intervals for professional service, always refer to your owner’s manual.
Why Is Factory-Recommended Maintenance So Important?
If you’re like most drivers, you’ve probably wondered whether adhering to your vehicle’s factory-recommended maintenance schedule is actually necessary. And though it can be tempting to put off service appointments until your vehicle begins exhibiting red flags, it’s certainly not recommended.
Routine maintenance, when practiced according to your vehicle’s provided schedule, helps prevent red flags from popping up in the first place, ultimately saving you time and money. Professional service appointments ensure minor issues don’t grow worse (and become more expensive and time consuming to repair), while also ensuring your vehicle remains in safe, operational condition.
Moreover, should you choose to sell the vehicle in the future, prospective buyers will no doubt consider its internal condition. Adhering to your factory-recommended maintenance schedule will help keep the vehicle in top form, which in turn, will help you command the highest asking price possible.
AA Auto Tech: Your Twin Cities Source for Comprehensive Auto Repair & Maintenance
When your vehicle requires routine service, bring it to our expert auto mechanics at AA Auto Tech. Since 1995, we’ve provided comprehensive auto service for vehicle owners throughout Hastings, MN, and the surrounding Twin Cities metro, and we’re here to keep your vehicle in great condition, too. To learn more or schedule a service appointment, give us a call today at 651-437-2218 or send us a message on our contact page, and we’ll be in touch.