Like all other auto parts, the radiator in your vehicle requires maintenance and care to perform as it should for several years. The radiator’s primary function is to keep the engine cool so that it does not overheat.
If you don’t take care of the radiator, then it will not take care of the engine. Thus, neglecting your radiator can cause a domino effect in which one serious problem leads to another. Below, we cover radiator maintenance essentials. Here are some tips for taking care of your radiator:
A Radiator Malfunction Can Lead to Engine Failure
Since the radiator’s job is to keep the engine cool, a malfunction can lead to numerous problems. For instance, your vehicle’s engine is running at a temperature of 190-200 degrees Fahrenheit. If the radiator breaks down, the engine will heat up.
The temperature will exceed 200 degrees. That level of heat will cause gaskets, hoses, the water pump, and the engine to break down and eventually stop working.
How Do You Know If Your Radiator Needs Maintenance?
Since the radiator is one of the essential components in your car, it’s important to know the signs when it fails. Some of the symptoms of a broken radiator include:
● Rust. A rusty radiator is easy to spot from the outside. On the inside, the radiator will produce brownish water. Eventually, the radiator will corrode all the way through, and leaks will develop.
● Leaks. Leaks are the most visible sign of a bad radiator. Leaks usually occur at the bottom of the radiator or hose connections. If you notice coolant on the ground, bring your car to our auto repair service center immediately.
● Overheating. You may notice your car’s temperature gauge running into the red. This means the engine is overheating. It could be the radiator.
Putting Your Radiator On a Maintenance Schedule
With proper care and maintenance, you can avoid radiator issues. Here’s what you can do:
● Bring your car in every 20,000 miles so that we can flush the radiator coolant.
● Bring your car in annually so that we can check the hoses and clamps.
● Bring your car in before summer and winter to make sure you have enough coolant.
Radiator Maintenance and Care in Minneapolis, MN
If you think you may be having problems with your radiator, bring your car into AA Auto Tech. We provide radiator installation and repair as well as tune-ups, brake and engine repair, and ongoing vehicle maintenance.
Our service extends to car owners in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota. To schedule a radiator repair, contact us at 651-437-2218, or you can message us on our contact page.